Although those that are not in the hospitality industry think that all meetings and conventions are just an excuse to party, a la Fred Flintstones’ Water Buffalos Convention (Grand Poobah included), those of us “in the know” know that meetings and conventions are serious business. It is a place where people commune to exchange information and ideas; inspiring each other to learn, grow and become more. There is a convention for just about every industry or hobby out there. Some are just bit more, shall we say, interesting than others. Here are a few of my favorites:
- You might think you are seeing double if you happen to be in Twinsburg, Ohio the first weekend in August. It serves as home to the annual Twins Days Festival, attracting over 3,000 (or is that 1500 x 2) visitors each year.
- Those interested in UFOs and other related phenomenon convene once a year for the International UFO Congress. Festivities include a Film Festival!
- Get your Dude (“or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing”) on at The Lebowski Fest; celebrating all things around and about the film The Big Lebowski.
- If Judy Garland makes your heart sing, then hang with other fans over the rainbow, or in Grand Rapids, Michigan anyway, at the Judy Garland Festival.
- Speaking of Judy Garland, you never know, but you may see her (or at least someone that looks a lot like her) at the Celebrity Impersonators Convention. The photo opportunities must be fabulous at this event!
- Got a sugar tooth, or as is my case – sugar teeth! Then check out The International Cake Exploration Societe Convention, which attracts over 4,000 sugar artists, cake decorators and vendors. I see vats of icing and I am happy.
- On a more serious note, there is the World Toilet Summit & Expo. The name may make you giggle, but in reality they aim to bring clean water and sanitation to the 2.5 billion people around the world who are still in need.
These conventions may be unconventional, but it does make the world a much more interesting place! Have you ever been to a crazy convention? Better yet, do you plan a crazy convention? Share with our meeting planning community on Facebook!