Hey Planners – last year had its ups and downs . . . and this year will too. My hope for you is that you experience a lot more ups than ever this year! It’s looking good for us. As we move further and further away from the pandemic, people are ready to party like, well, it’s 2023.
- New Friends: The Great Resignation continues, so expect many new faces are sure to show up to your meetings – and many will be Millennials. Millennials make up 35% of the workforce and will represent 75% of the workforce by 2025! As Boomers and GenX-ers continue to retire and seek out new adventures, Millennials are taking over and are hungry for knowledge. Get ready to serve them up new experiences, learning opportunities and more, all designed to help them grow and become effective leaders in their field.
- Make Memories: Memorable experiences are abuzz for 2023. While a venue can serve as a meeting’s home base, be sure to also include off-site activities that allow attendees to explore the city, learn new information or just have fun!
- Safety First: Crime has risen everywhere. Planners should be in contact with city officials to ensure that their attendees will be a priority and be kept safe!
- Plan for the Future: The industry has become accustomed to last-minute meetings, but expect this trend to wane. We are moving toward to longer lead times once again.
- Know Me: Millennials expect their likes to be known and served up to them – they assume that you know then and will expect to see their interests incorporated into the event. In my next blog, I will share more about taking personalization to the next level.
- Hybrid Had Its Day: Due to the cost of the technology necessary to provide a seamless hybrid experience, many planners are now moving away from this option. That said, there is an option for those that wish to “attend”, but are unable to do so. Planners can record event sessions, and make them available post-event. It could be a value add to those that attended, and also capture additional funds for non-attendees willing to pay for access.
- Go Local: Think local when it comes to entertainment, food, and vendors. Attendees appreciate being served up the local flavor, as well as supporting the host location.
- DEI: Diversity, Equitability and Inclusion continues to reign as a top priority. Be sure to actively invite and include diverse topics and people in both attendance and on stage.
- Compostable Products: Compostable products are in! The difference between compostable and biodegradable is that compostable products are made from organic elements only, whereas biodegradable products can be made from any material that breaks down.
- Viva Magenta: This is the year to see all through magenta colored glasses, at least according to Pantone; Viva Magenta has been named its 2023 Color of the Year. So when you are thinking about conference branding this year, don’t think pink, think Viva Magenta!
Have an amazing year, Meeting Planner! I am already looking forward to working with you in 2023!