For as long as I have been in the meetings industry I have been a negotiator; it is a huge part of the meeting planning process. Negotiation takes a bit of finesse and a bit of savvy (maybe even a bit of sassy), but it also requires a lot of knowledge. We need to know what charges are included in those rates and what charges we may incur; for example, things that we think should be included but are not.
It can be quite overwhelming to keep up with the new “in” charges. One new charge can create a budgeting nightmare, especially when we are blindsided by it. It’s ever changing, just when you think you have it all down, some new creative, dare I say tricky, charge can crop up seemingly out of nowhere.
Here are some hotel charges you may not know about:
- Early check-in charge. That’s right, it used to be that if a room were ready for its next guest, the guest could move right in. Now there may be a $20 or more additional charge.
- Housekeeping charges. I don’t know about you, but I like the fact that I can leave my unmade bed and bathroom-towels-tumbled-in-the-corner and return to a magically and perfectly ordered room. Now that magic could cost you an additional $10 per night.
- Towel fees. Get a towel at the pool and you may pay a dollar or two. And don’t think it is yours to keep, either. If you take it back to the room with you, you may be charged even more.
- Water and newspaper fees; today’s newspaper and a fresh bottle of water may reside in the room with you, but that does not mean that they are all part of the package.
- Resort fees are nothing new, but what they cover may be. Be sure to find out ahead of time.
You should always look over your bill and make sure that you understand what you are being billed for – ask questions! Also, know that these fees are negotiable. Of course, it’s best to be aware of these charges up front and negotiate them down before they hit your bill. This is where I excel! I have tons of experience in negotiating such fees (and finding those hidden fees) on behalf of my clients. Give yourself the peace of mind that you deserve and let me bring more negotiating power to the table for you! BTW – I have no hidden fees. Call me today at 636-797-3405!