- Don’t put it on your lap. I know, weird right? It is called a “lap” top for goodness sake. However, your laptop will be better off on a smooth surface, allowing for that ever-important airflow.
- Don’t leave it plugged in at all times. Let’s say you have a stint of non-travel, but you are so accustomed to plugging in while not traveling that suddenly your laptop is never unplugged. Not ideal. Unplug it a few times each week. Think of it as exercise for your battery.
- Power down a few times a week. Though it is tempting to keep your laptop on, it is a good idea to shut it down. Just like you, your laptop needs some downtime.
- While traveling, keep your laptop with you at all times. I know you know this, but we have all been in situations where we are just going to “leave it there for a second to go get a latte.” Don’t. Take it with you.
- If you have sensitive data on your laptop, encrypt it. For an on-the-go solution, check out TrueCrypt.
- Back up your data. You know this too, but do you do it? Buy an external hard drive and back it up once a week.
- No updating or installing while traveling. Sometimes those updates and installations do not go as predicted. Save such activities for when you have time to deal with any bugs that may come your way.
If you have any other awesome happy laptop hints, please do share them with me on my Facebook Page!!!