Last week I talked about the Tweetable Meetable and how to use Twitter to enhance your attendee’s meeting experience. So, are you on Twitter, yet? By all means, do sign up! Not only is it a great way to gather meeting information, but you can also connect with other meeting planners to learn and share. Keep in mind that you can create more than one Twitter account; you can have a personal account, using your home email and information, as well as a work related account using your work email and information.
Many people who get onto Twitter are looking to be followed, but others simply wish to follow a few choice accounts to keep up with what’s new, as well as provide them a platform for communication with other individuals in their industry. It’s easy to create your account, just go to Twitter and fill in your information. Now Tweet!
To get you started, here a few to follow:
- @HotelChatter shares information on new hotels along with what is new in the hotel industry.
- @TodayInTheSky provides the latest airline industry news from USA TODAY’s Ben Mutzabaugh in his Today In The Sky blog.
- @HotelsHotel brings you the latest in hospitality happenings, hotels news, lodging/travel & more!
- @EyeForTravel says they are the world’s leading online travel news, events and research publisher.
- @LHMagazine is brought to us from Lodging Hospitality Magazine and promises to share breaking hospitality industry news.
- @SuccessfulMtgs is another magazine tweeting about on Twitter, educating and providing resources for all levels of corporate, association, and independent meeting managers and buyers.
Last week we also talked about how to do a Twitter Search in order to look for buzz on various hashtags. Some popular Twitter Chats to follow for meeting planners are:
- #eventprofs – the first Twitter chat for planners, this is a thriving community of event tweeters.
- #meetingplanners – to connect with your other meeting planner tweeters.
- #TTOT – a social media travel event taking place every Tuesday, twice at 9am and 9pm GMT.
- #engage365 – event professionals interested in social media for events/conferences, Fridays at 1pm ET.
- #assnchat – chat for association professionals discussing current industry trends, technology and strategy, Tuesdays at 2pm ET.
- #speakchat – event planners, professional speakers, and speakers bureaus discuss a variety of industry related topics and issues, Mondays at 9pm ET.
- #AVchat – to learn about AV, a key ingredient for many successful events, Thursdays at 7pm ET.
For other hashtag definitions, check out #tagdef.
So why not give Twitter a twy? You may just become Twamous (widely known, or honored for achievement on Twitter). Just don’t work yourself into a Twance (in a Twitter trance). For more notable twitter language check out the Twictionary.
Oh, and by the way, don’t forget to follow me at @jillstonehb.